United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
and United States of America : draft resolution
29 August 1963
The Security Council,
Having heard the statements of the representatives of Israel and the Syrian Arab Republic,
Taking into consideration the report of the Secretary-General dated 24 August 1963 [S/5401 and Add.14],
1. Condemns the wanton murder at Almagor in Israel territory of two Israel citizens on 19 August 1963;
2. Calls the attention of the Syrian Arab Republic to evidence in the Secretary-General's report to the effect that those responsible for the killings appear to have been an armed group who entered Israel territory from the direction of the Jordan River and afterwards left in the same direction;
3. Notes with satisfaction that the report of the Secretary-General indicates that, although there was an exchange of fire, there was no substantial show of force in the demilitarized zone on 20 August 1963;
4. Appeals to the parties to co-operate in the early exchange of prisoners in accordance with the suggestion contained in paragraph 49 of the Secretary-General's report;
5. Notes from the report of the Secretary-General that the Chief of Staff of United Nations Truce Supervision Organization has proposed to the parties concerned certain measures to alleviate tension and restore tranquillity in the area;
6. Calls upon the parties to offer to the Chief of Staff all possible co-operation in the pursuit of this end in conformity with the General Armistice Agreement;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Security Council by 31 December 1963 on the progress made in regard to the measures proposed by the Chief of Staff.
The Security Council on 3 September 1963 voted on the draft resolution as follows:
In favour: Brazil, China, France, Ghana, Norway, Philippines, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America.
Against: Morocco, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.