Unofficial Text of the Cairo Agreement between
the Lebanese Authorities and Palestinian Commando Organisations.
Cairo, November 3, 1969
On Monday, November 3, 1969, a meeting took place in Cairo between the Lebanese delegation, headed by General Emile Bustani, and the delegation from the Palestine Liberation Organisation, headed by Mr. Yasser Arafat, head of Organisation. The United Arab Republic was represented at the meeting by Mr. Mahmud Riyad, Minister for Foreign Affairs, and Lieutenant General Muhammad Fawzi, Minister for War.
In keeping with the principles of brotherhood and common destiny, Lebanon’s relations with the Palestinian Revolution should always be characterized by trust, frankness and positive cooperation; this is in the interest of both Lebanon and the Palestine revolution, while also respecting the sovereignty and security of Lebanon. Both delegations agree to the following measures and principles:
The Palestine Presence
It is agreed that the Palestinian presence in Lebanon shall be reorganized along the following lines:
1. Palestinians at present residing in Lebanon shall have the right to work, reside and move about in Lebanon.
2. Local Palestinian Committees are to be set up in refugee camps to look after the interests of Palestinian residents of the camps, in cooperation with the local authorities and in keeping with the principle of Lebanese sovereignty.
3. There shall be Palestine Armed Struggle Posts in the camps which will cooperate with the local Committees so as to ensure good relations with the authorities. These Posts shall be responsible for controlling and limiting the presence of arms in the camps, in keeping with the requirements of Lebanese security and the interests of the Palestinian Revolution.
4. Palestinians residing in Lebanon are to be allowed to take part in the Palestinian Revolution through the Armed Struggle while acting in conformity with Lebanese sovereignty and security.
It is agreed that commando action is to be accorded the following facilities:
1. Passage for the commands is to be facilitated. They are to be assigned crossing points and observation posts along the frontiers.
2. The commandos shall have the right of passage to the Arqub district.
3. The Armed Struggle Command is to control the activities of all those belonging to its member organizations and is responsible for ensuring that they do not interfere in Lebanese affairs.
4. A joint disciplinary board is to be set up comprising members from the Armed Struggle and the Lebanese Army.
5. Both sides are to stop their propaganda campaigns.
6. A census is to be carried out of the number of elements in the Armed Struggle in Lebanon, through the Armed Struggle Command.
7. Representatives of the Armed Struggle are to be attached to the Lebanese General Staff to help resolve sudden difficulties as they arise.
8. The distribution of commando bases along the frontiers is to be re-examined and determined after agreement with the Lebanese General Staff.
9. The entry, exit and movements of all elements belonging to the Armed Struggle are to be regulated.
10. The Jirun base is to be evacuated.
11. The Lebanese army shall facilitate the activities of medical evacuation and supply centres belonging to the commando movement.
12. All detainees and confiscated arms are to be released.
13. It is understood that all Lebanese civil and military authorities shall continue to exercise their authority and discharge their responsibilities in full throughout Lebanese territory under all circumstances.
14. Both sides affirm that Palestinian Armed Struggle is in the interest of Lebanon, the Palestinians and all Arabs.
15. This agreement shall remain top secret. It shall only be accessible to the commands.
Head of the Lebanese Delegation
Head of the Palestinian Delegation
November 3, 1999