Resolution 101 (1953)
Resolution of 24 November 1953 [S/3139/Rev.2]
24 November 1953
The Security Council,
Recalling its previous resolutions on the Palestine question, particularly resolutions 54 (1948) of 15 July 1948, 73 (1949) of 11 August 1949 and 93 (1951) of 18 May 1951 concerning methods for maintaining the armistice and resolving disputes through the Mixed Armistice Commission,
Noting the reports of 27 October 1953, and 9 November 1953 to the Security Council by the Chief of Staff of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization in Palestine and the statements to the Council by the representatives of Jordan and Israel,
1. Finds that the retaliatory action at Qibya taken by armed forces of Israel on 14-15 October 1953 and all such actions constitute a violation of the cease-fire provisions of Security Council resolution 54 (1948) and are inconsistent with the parties' obligations under the General Armistice Agreement between Israel and Jordan and the Charter of the United Nations;
2. Expresses the strongest censure of that action, which can only prejudice the chances of that peaceful settlement which both parties, in accordance with the Charter, are bound to seek, and calls upon Israel to take effective measures to prevent all such actions in the future;
1. Takes note of the fact that there is substantial evidence of crossing of the demarcation line by unauthorized persons, often resulting in acts of violence, and requests the Government of Jordan to continue and strengthen the measures which it is already taking to prevent such crossings;
2. Recalls to the Governments of Israel and Jordan their obligations under Security Council resolutions and the General Armistice Agreement to prevent all acts of violence on either side of the demarcation line;
3. Calls upon the Governments of Israel and Jordan to ensure the effective co-operation of local security forces;
1. Reaffirms that it is essential, in order to achieve progress by peaceful means towards a lasting settlement of the issues outstanding between them, that the parties abide by their obligations under the General Armistice Agreement and the resolutions of the Security Council;
2. Emphasizes the obligation of the Governments of Israel and Jordan to co-operate fully with the Chief of Staff of the Truce Supervision Organization;
3. Requests the Secretary-General to consider, with the Chief of Staff, the best ways of strengthening the Truce Supervision Organization and to furnish such additional personnel and assistance as the Chief of Staff of the Truce Supervision Organization may require for the performance of his duties;
4. Requests the Chief of Staff of the Truce Supervision Organization to report within three months to the Security Council with such recommendations as he may consider appropriate on compliance with and enforcement of the General Armistice Agreements, with particular reference to the provisions of this resolution and taking into account any agreement reached in pursuance of the request by the Government of Israel for the convocation of a conference under article XII of the General Armistice Agreement between Israel and Jordan.
Adopted at the 642nd meeting by 9 votes to none, with 2 abstentions (Lebanon, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics).